2020-2021 bus route information
Revised Saturday, September 5, 2020
Information on 2020-2021 school bus routes was released on Thursday, September 3 and will remain available this year on the website of each BCSD school. In addition, bus route information is accessible at www.bcsdschools.net/busroutes.
Bus transportation requests are built into our online registration process. If you did not request bus transportation during registration but later need the service, contact your child’s school. Please understand that school bus use should be reserved for those families who truly have no other option for transporting their children to school.
General information regarding bus routes
Our office of student transportation is charged with providing transportation service for 22,500+ children. Most buses in BCSD provide service to three bus routes, one for each grade level (elementary, middle, and high). Students who live within 1 ½ miles of their school are not generally eligible for bus transportation. The distance is normally measured from the edge of the property or driveway where the student lives to the nearest pedestrian entry point of the school property. School bus stops cannot be placed closer together than two-tenths of a mile. School bus routes cannot be altered to add a bus stop or move a bus stop unless a student lives further than three-tenths of a mile from an existing stop.
Snapshot of 2020-2021 Transportation Guidelines/Protocols
For your convenience, we have posted a snapshot of our pandemic-related transportation guidelines and protocols. We encourage you to also educate your student(s) on positive behavior at bus stops to include: social distancing, limiting contact with others and general safety.
- Students that are ill will not be permitted to ride the school bus.
- Student seating on buses will be assigned with social distancing in mind, as practical.
- Buses will be disinfected following unloading of students using electrostatic cleaners.
- We ask that school bus use be reserved for those families who truly have no other option for transporting their children to school.
- Bus staff will use face coverings and exhibit social distancing when interacting with students and colleagues.
- Personal protective equipment will be distributed based on need and availability.
- Bus staff will use gloves and eye protection when using disinfectant supplies. Gloves will be discarded after use.
Social Distancing, Ventilation and Capacity on School Buses
- Assignment of three students to a seat should not occur.
- Each student will be assigned a seat on the bus. Each driver will maintain a seating chart as documentation of the students’ location on the bus. When possible, members of the same household will be assigned the same seat to limit the possibility of exposure. When possible, an adult monitor may be used to ensure appropriate seating occurs.
- The driver will maximize the circulation of outside air to the extent practicable. The opening of roof vents and windows will be utilized as weather permits.
- Buses will be disinfected prior to starting the next trip.
South Carolina Department of Education School Bus Face Covering Guidelines
- Those younger than two years old;
- Those who have trouble breathing;
- Those unable to remove the covering without assistance; and/or
- Those with special healthcare or educational needs as determined by an Individualized Education Program (IEP), 504 Accommodations Plan, or an individual student healthcare plan, or by a medical doctor