BCSD board takes measures to ensure employees are compensated during school closure; new student feeding locations added to list
Published Monday, March 16, 2020
In response to ongoing concerns about coronavirus (COVID-19) and an order from South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster to close all schools, Berkeley County School District central office staff members gathered for approximately 10 hours on Sunday to plan for an extended closure of schools and an eLearning experience that would allow instruction for Berkeley County’s children to continue.
On Monday as schools were closed to students, teachers and support staff on campuses collaborated and began a massive task of shifting from traditional instruction practices to preparing a high quality eLearning platform that can be executed for an extended period of time.
Before Monday’s emergency board meeting, BCSD Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram said he was proud of the work and the commitment to the children of Berkeley County.
“We know there will be mistakes. We know that no plan is perfect, but we also know that preparation wins every time,” Dr. Ingram said. “I heard from the Teacher of the Year at Daniel Island School, Stephanie Donley, that today was 'awesome and seamless' as they transformed their lesson plans to an eLearning platform. Each day we will continue to work to transform our plans as necessary to keep students safe, as is this board’s number-one value, and to accomplish to the best of our abilities, delivering high quality instruction.”
BCSD Chief Academic and Innovation Officer Dr. Kelly Wulf said the level of commitment shown Monday by teachers and those supporting them is among the many things that make Berkeley County School District great.
“We are committed to providing exceptional instruction for every child in Berkeley County, and we will continue to work together as we refine our eLearning experience,” she said.
During the emergency-called meeting, the board authorized emergency powers for the superintendent – allowing him the flexibility to implement human resources protocol and assign duties as needed. The primary objective – to ensure employees are compensated while schools and offices are closed. Some staff essential to the payroll process, Ingram said, will need to be on-hand and ready to assist if issues arise.
Also on Monday, BCSD announced it would expand its student feeding program to include Devon Forest Elementary and Boulder Bluff Elementary. The list of schools where students can be provided a hot meal and snack daily now grows to 14. Lunch and snack are available for pick up Monday-Friday, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
“Thinking about this day really hits my heart,” said BCSD Board Chair Sally Wofford. “From our people preparing meals and cleaning our schools to our teachers and support staff working hand-in-hand to prepare lessons – it was a real team effort. Working as an educator or support staff member in a school is truly a calling, and our folks continue to show where their hearts are. We are blessed in Berkeley County to have so many dedicated people working to deliver the best for our children.”
BCSD will continue to monitor and communicate plans as needed. At this time, there is another update planned for Tuesday, March 17, and parents/guardians are encouraged to check their email and/or visit their school’s website for additional information regarding the district’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Additional information can also be found at www.bcsdschools.net/coronavirus.
Revised student feeding locations
BCSD schools hosting drive-through PICK UP of lunch and snack (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) are:
- Berkeley High School located at 406 W Main St, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Boulder Bluff Elementary located at 400 Judy Dr, Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Cainhoy Elementary School located at 2434 Cainhoy Rd, Huger, SC 29450
- Cane Bay High School located at 1624 State Rd, Summerville, SC 29483
- Cross Elementary School located at 1325 Ranger Dr, Cross, SC 29436
- Devon Forest Elementary School located at 1127 Dorothy St, Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Goose Creek High School located at 1137 Red Bank Rd, Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Hanahan Elementary School located at 4000 Mabeline Rd, Hanahan, SC 29410
- J.K. Gourdin Elementary School located at 1649 Highway 45. Pineville, SC 29468
- Sangaree Elementary School located at 1460 Royle Rd, Summerville, SC 29483
- St. Stephen Elementary School located at 1053 Russellville Rd, St Stephen, SC 29479
- Timberland High School located at 1418 Gravel Hill Rd, St Stephen, SC 29479
The following community locations have also been added to the list for lunch PICK UP:
(landmark/location | Address | estimated delivery time)
- Jamestown Baptist Family LifeCenter | 4331 N. Hwy 17A, Jamestown | 11 a.m.
- Cordesville Baptist Church | 1913 Hwy 402, Cordesville | 12:05 p.m.
- Miracle Revival Center | 2706 Cainhoy Rd, Huger | 11 a.m.
- Saint Phillips AME Church | 3205 Steed Creek Rd, Huger | 11:35 a.m.
- MHP | William Hill Ln @ Geniune Ln, Huger | 12:10 p.m.
- Community Lodge | 1071 Charity Church Rd, Huger | 11 a.m.
- Highpoint Cir / 3 Brothers Ln, Huger | 11:35 a.m.
- Bethel AME Church | 5366 Halfway Creek, Huger | 12:10 a.m.
- Shannonwood Apartments | 215 Shannonwood Dr, Mocks Corner | 11 a.m.
- Freedom Church | 1425 Cypress Gardens Rd, Mocks Corner | 11:30 a.m.
- Fishburne Educational Center | 6215 Murray Dr, Hanahan | 11 a.m.
- Hanahan Baptist Church | Pepper St @ Loftis St, Hanahan | 11:25 a.m.
- The Church of God | 5813 Sledge St, Hanahan | 11:50 a.m.
- Spring Valley MHP | 1001 Spring Valley Rd, Hanahan | 11 a.m.
- Seven Farms Apts. | 305 Seven Farms Dr., Daniel Island | 11:35 a.m.
- Saint John AME Church | 1046 Saint Johns Church Rd, Charleston | 12:25 p.m.
- Pine Lakes Apts @ Office | 120 S. Cranford Rd, Goose Creek | 11 a.m.
- Collins Park @ Office | 3501 Harbour Lake Dr., Goose Creek | 11:20 a.m.
- River Ridge Townhouses @ Office | 4255 Harbour Lake Dr, Goose Creek | 11:40 a.m.
- Rosewood Townhomes @ Office | 4501 Harbour Lake Dr, Goose Creek | 12 p.m.
- Birch Hollow MHP | 101 Bayboro Cir, Goose Creek | 12:10 p.m.
- The Villas At Summer Creek @ Office | 5055 Harbour Lake Drive, Goose Creek | 12:20 p.m.
- Patriots Place Townhomes @ Office | 3000 Harbour Lake Dr, Goose Creek | 11 a.m.
- Marrington Village Apts @ Office | 5000 Harbour Lake Dr, Goose Creek | 11:20 a.m.
- Pinebrook Pointe Apts @ Office | 5500 Harbour Lake Dr, Goose Creek | 11:40 a.m.
- Wingate MHP @ Office | 420 Pittsburg Landing, Summerville | 11 a.m.
- Waters At St. James @ Pool | 1053 St James Ave, Summerville | 11:20 a.m.
- Beckstone Apts @ Office | 100 Comet Creek Ln, Summerville | 11:40 a.m.
- Cobbstone Village Apts @ Office | 900 Brookstone Way, Summerville | 12 p.m.
If you have any questions please contact Child Nutrition 843-899-8708
For more information about BCSD's Child Nutrition department, click here.