Return to Headlines

11 BCSD schools to offer breakfast and lunch at no cost to students

Published, Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Every student in some BCSD cafeterias will receive meals this school year at no cost. 

Berkeley County School District is participating in the Community Eligibility Provision for the 2018-2019 school year. Section104(a) of the Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 amended section 11(a)(1) of the Richard B.Russell National School Lunch Act (42)U.S.C. 1759a(a)(1) ( the law) to provide an alternative to household applications for free and reduced price meals in local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools with increased levels of low income students. This alternative is referred to as the Community Eligibility Provision. All students in the following schools in Berkeley County may participate in the breakfast and lunch program at no charge to them. Families will not have to fill out meal applications for these schools.

  • H.E. Bonner Elementary
  • Cross Elementary
  • College Park Elementary
  • St. Stephen Elementary
  • J.K. Gourdin Elementary
  • Macedonia Middle
  • Cainhoy Elementary  
  • College Park Middle
  • St. Stephen Middle
  • Timberland High
  • Cross High

Breakfast and lunch meals follow the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) guidelines for healthy meals. 

You may contact your BCSD Child Nutrition Services Department for additional information at 843-899-8708. 

Parents or guardians that do not want their child/children to participate in CEP may contact the BCSD Child Nutrition Services Department at 843-899-8708.


*The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number is not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced price meals, and for administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health, and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund, or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews, and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

**In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

***To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Katie Orvin Tanner