Get highlights and information from the May 22, 2018 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR May 22, 2018
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, May 22, 2018. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the board meetings are available for viewing and download HERE.
Click HERE to view Board Docs. After selecting the meeting date, you can view the agenda for the meeting, the items for information, and items for action. Board Docs is updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
Congressional Art Competition Winner
DECA National Silver Medallion Winner
- Selected for state office
- Erica Placker and Ashantia Thompson
- Action Skills – bronze medal
- American Spirit – gold medal (qualified for nationals)
- Community Action Project – gold medal (qualified for nationals)
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies – gold medal
- Quiz Bowl – silver medal
- Middle School Team Engineering Challenge – gold medal (qualified for nationals)
- Middle School Team Engineering Challenge – silver medal
- Television Video Production – silver medal
Career and Technical Education (CTE) Middle and High Teachers of the Year
- Berkeley Middle School's Victoria Mills-Middle School CTE Teacher of the Year
- Hanahan High School's Donna Timko, High School CTE Teacher of the Year
- IHA-R Grading/Assessment Systems Revision, Second Reading
- 2018-2019 BCSD Adoption of State Textbooks, First Reading
- IFB#522-(17-18) Music and Performing Arts Educational Furniture and Equipment-Cooperative Term Contract
- Out-of-State Travel Approvals
- 2018-2019 General Fund Proposed Budget
- Supply/Travel/Sports Allocation Formulas
- 2nd Reading of Board Policy Revisions - Section G - Personnel
- Allocation Formulas - Certified & Classified Staff
- Fifty Foot Ingress-Egress and General Utility Easement - Whitesville Elementary Property
- Permission to Negotiate with Nelliefield Homeowners Association
- 2nd Reading - 2018-2019 Board Meeting Dates
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the system. These remarks included:
- Horry County School visit- On Monday, Dr. Ingram toured Horry County’s St. James Intermediate, an energy efficient school. The school design includes collaborative workspaces, a middle school conversion option and solar panels. They estimate that they should save $180,000 annually in energy costs. The cost of building schools with a similar design is approximately $1 million more than the more traditional design approach. Dr. Ingram also briefly discussed to use prototype designs, which help lower overall school design costs.
- Fourth Quarter School Visits- On Tuesday, Dr. Ingram conducted his fourth and final visit to Westview Elementary. They were having their career fair. One parent stopped and thanked the school for allowing this kind of activity saying, “After all, these are the kinds of things our kids will be doing later.” He also shared that on Wednesday he will conduct fourth quarter visits at Sangaree Elementary, Intermediate, and Middle. Ingram will also visit College Park Elementary and Middle on Thursday to complete his school visits for the year.
- Facilities Study- Ingram will also be consulting with Dr. Tony Parker on Wednesday regarding the BCSD facilities study, which will be shared with the full Board in June.
- Breakfast of Champions- On Thursday morning, Dr. Ingram will attend the annual Breakfast of Champions at Charleston University. This event, sponsored by the Berkeley Chamber, recognizes outstanding high school students for their academic, service and leadership achievements.
- BCSD Retirement Celebration- On Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m., BCSD will host our Retirement Celebration at Berkeley Middle School.
- Memorial Day- Ingram reminded the Board and the audience that schools and offices will be closed on Monday for Memorial Day.
- PRIDE Celebration- Next Tuesday, May 29th, BCSD will host the annual PRIDE Celebration at Westview Middle School from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. We will recognize BCSD Rookie Teachers of the Year from each school and announce the district Rookie Teacher of the Year.
- Principal Selection Stakeholder Meetings- BCSD plans to host the following stakeholder meetings to gather feedback from the community regarding the selection of principals for the following schools:
- Hanahan High School, June 7 at 6 p.m.
- Cross High School, June 11 at 6 p.m.
- Westview Primary School, June 13* at 6p.m
- *This meeting was rescheduled due to conflicts with other events
BOARD CHAIR REPORT
Board Chair Sally Wofford commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff, and the communities served by the system. Her remarks included:
- BCSD 2018 Graduation Ceremonies- Chair Wofford shared the upcoming graduation ceremony dates with Board members. She stated that it is one of the most exciting times to be a Board member as members have the opportunity to shake the hands of students graduating from our schools. Chair Wofford asked that Board members let Ms. Penny know which ceremonies their schedules will allow them to attend. Please CLICK HERE for a full list of BCSD graduation ceremonies.