Get highlights and information from the February 27, 2018 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR February 27, 2018
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, February 27, 2018. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the board meetings are available for viewing and download HERE.
Click HERE to view Board Docs. After selecting the meeting date, you can view the agenda for the meeting, the items for information, and items for action. Board Docs is updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
2018 South Carolina Counselor of the Year
- Courtney Barber - Hanahan High School
BETA Club State Conference Winners
- Goose Creek High School BETA Club
- Stratford High School BETA Club
- Berkeley High School BETA Club
Career and Technical Education (CTE) Ambassadors
- Molly Mix - Cane Bay High School
- Savannah Hollifield - Cane Bay High School
- Kastor Collier - Goose Creek High School
- Sydaija Smalls - Goose Creek High School
- Kayla Stone - Hanahan High School
- Shalyn Beasley - Hanahan High School
- Daniel Wood - Stratford High School
- Valree Johnson - Timberland High School
- Head Start Budget Expenditures Reports for November 2017 and December 2017, Head Start Credit Card Reports for November 2017 and December 2017, Prospective New Hires for November 2017, 2018-2019 Refunding Application, 2018-2019 Recruitment Plan, 2018-2019 Selection Criteria, and the Community Assessment Update
- Berkeley County School District 2018 Summer Programs
- First Reading - Childhood Development Education Program Curriculum Adoption
- First Reading - Heritage Keepers Abstinence Education 1 and 2 Curricula
- First Reading: - Local Board Course Approval: Dental Assistant I
- First Reading - Local Board Course Approval: Intermediate Manufacturing
- RFQ 529-(17-18) Indefinite Delivery Contract for Metal Canopy Contractors
- FPB 530-(17-18) Athletic Field & Lawn Maintenance Supplies
- RFP 523-(17-18) K-12 Enrollment Forecasting, Facilities Assessment and Optimization Plan
- Bid #525-(17-18) Provide and Install Bleachers for Baseball Field at Berkeley High School
- Inclement Weather Make Up Day 2017-2018
- Instructional Calendar 2018-2019
- Recommendation for Naming Stadium Entrance at Berkeley High School
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the system. These remarks included:
- BCSD State Wrestling Champions– Ingram offered congratulations to Timberland High’s Cooper Youngblood who captured the state title in the 182-pound weight class and to Cane Bay High’s Jacob D’Ambrosio who captured the state title in the 132-pound weight class. BCSD had a strong showing during the tournament with many other wrestlers capturing second and third place in their respective weight classes. Additionally, six BCSD wrestlers were named to the North-South All-Star Wrestling Team.
- 2018 Home Telecom Directory Art Challenge- Ingram also offered congratulations to Cane Bay High’s Fatima Maya Perez for her winning design in the Home Telecom Directory Art Challenge. Her artwork will be displayed on the front cover of Home Telecom’s first inclusive services directory incorporating all of Moncks Corner and its surrounding areas, as well as Harleyville and St. George.
- AdvancED Participation- Kevin O’Gorman, BCSD Chief Academic Officer, is attending an AdvancED visit this week in Orangeburg. His participation helps make BCSD visits with AdvancED more productive.
- Elementary PLC and Instructional Coaches- Dr. Ingram shared that he had the opportunity to meet with elementary school principals during their PLC. He also met with school instructional coaches on Monday and discussed the role they play in supporting teachers in their schools.
- Recent Threats to BCSD Schools- Recently, some BCSD schools received phone and internet threats regarding the safety of schools. Unfortunately, these incidences tend to increase following school tragedies. In the matters involving our schools, school staff and law enforcement acted quickly, which lead to the identification and apprehension of the culprits.
- Marrington Elementary Science Fair- Dr. Ingram was privileged to serve as a science fair judge Tuesday morning at Marrington Elementary school. He shared that he was impressed by the creativity and inquiry shown by students.
- Third Quarter Visits Continue- Dr. Ingram is continuing third quarter visits with principals and schools. During these visits, he is interviewing six students at each school in small group settings. The students have been candid, and he has appreciated their thoughtfulness. He was happy to report that of all the students he has recently met, they all have indicated that they have internet access at home.
- Out of Office Thursday- Dr. Ingram informed the Board that he would not be in the office on Thursday due to a routine outpatient medical procedure. He expects to return to work on Friday.
- March 13th Board Meeting at H.E. Bonner Elementary- Dr. Ingram reminded the Board that the next regularly scheduled Board meeting will be held at H.E. Bonner Elementary School where we will recognize our new teachers of the year.
- Community Conversations and Safety and Security- The Community Conversations have been restructured to include a discussion on the safety and security features we have in place in Berkeley County schools. Our first Community Conversation that will include safety and security will be hosted by Hanahan Middle School on Monday, March 5. There will be five additional opportunities for our stakeholders to learn more about safety and security. As soon as those dates and locations across the district are confirmed we will invite our stakeholders to join us to continue the discussion on ensuring the safety of our students.
- Teacher Forum- Dr. Ingram concluded his remarks by thanking Teacher Forum representatives Sharon Blackwood and Nic Snyder for their attendance at the Board meeting.
BOARD CHAIR REPORT
Board Chair Sally Wofford commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff, and the communities served by the system. Her remarks included:
- Upcoming Events and Dates- Chair Wofford echoed Dr. Ingram’s reminder to the Board that the next Board meeting will be held at H.E. Bonner Elementary. Executive session will begin at 5:30 p.m., the Teacher of the Year Ceremony will follow at 6:30 p.m., and the meeting will conclude with Board committees.
- Statement of Economic Interest- Chair Wofford reminded the Board that their Statements of Economic Interest are due March 31st.