Get Highlights and Information from the January 30, 2018 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR January 30, 2018
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, January 30, 2018. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD Vimeo page and the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the Board meetings are available for viewing and download HERE.
Click HERE to view Board Docs. After selecting the meeting date, you can view the agenda for the meeting, the items for information, and items for action. Board Docs are updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
Legacy Builders - VIEW PHOTOS
Frank Wright for 20 Years of Service
Sarah Mundy-Post and Courier Low country Girl’s Swimmer of the Year- Berkeley High School
Blake Jenkins-North/South Team All Star- Berkeley High School
Nathan Walker-Shrine Bowl All Star- Cross High School
Taete McMurray-North/South Team All Star-Berkeley High School
Quincy Mitchell-North/ South Team All Star-Hanahan High School
Kris Copeland-North/ South Team All Star-Cane Bay High School
Keshawn Mays-North/South Team All Star-Goose Creek High School
Germen Lyght- STEM Premier Design Winner-Goose Creek High School
Jessica Armenta-STEM Premier Design Winner-Goose Creek High School
Kastor Collier-STEM Premier Design Winner-Goose Creek High School
- E. Bonner Elementary to become an Arts Infused Magnet School for 2018-2019
- 2nd Reading for Local Board Approved Courses: Steel Drum II CP, Steel Drums III CP and Honors Steel Drums IV CP Courses
- 2nd Reading for Local Board Approved Courses: Creative Writing II CP and Honors and African American Studies Courses
- Increase in substitute compensation including teachers, teacher assistants, child nutrition and custodian
- Goose Creek Primary School name change to Goose Creek Elementary School due to grade span change from PK-2 to PK-5 effective Fall 2018
- Sedgefield Intermediate School name change to Mount Holly Elementary School to take effect Fall 2018
- Second and Final Reading of Foxbank Elementary School as changes to take effect in the Fall of 2018
- Contract Construction’s Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) of $5,204,594.00 for Phase II of the Berkeley Education Center renovation and a total project cost of $7,167,700.07.
Upon returning from executive session, The board appointed Christin Rogers as Assistant Principal of College Park Elementary School, Andra Ladson as Director of Accounting, Marcie Abrahamson, Director of Procurement, Tammy Ware, Director of Financial Services and Budgeting and Dennie McDaniel, Head Football Coach at Stratford High School. Contracts will take effect on January 31, 2018. The Board unanimously approved the recommendations.
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff and communities served by the system. These remarks included:
- Friday, January 26-Held an initial meeting with our design team, comprised of elementary, middle and high school principals, plus two teachers from teacher forum. They will be charged with revisiting district mission and vision, and strategic planning processes as we move forward.
- Saturday, January 17-Attended the Middle School Quiz Bowl competition at Cane Bay Middle. Cane Bay Middle was the overall winner; however, several middle schools won honors in core subjects.
- Community Conversations begin in February. The first one will be at Nexton Elementary on February 6th, from 5:00 until 6:30 p.m. The second will be at “Ye Old Fashioned Ice Cream” in Monck’s Corner on February 21st also from 5:00 until 6:30 p.m.
- Congratulations to Brent Ebarle, student at Cane Bay Middle School for winning the 2018 District Spelling Bee. That makes Brent second straight win!
- Congratulations to our new personnel or upgraded personnel with more responsibilities. We are counting on you and know you will do a great job.
- February 1, the All County Chorus Program will be held at Cane Bay High School. The event begins at 6:30pm.
- February 3, STEM Festival at Brittlebank Park in Charleston at 11:00 a.m. Dr. Ingram will give brief remarks.
- Our All County Band will be performing on Saturday, February 10th at 4:00 p.m. The program will be held in the Goose Creek High School Auditorium.
- BCSD has one snow day to make up from the holiday snow storm. If the board chooses, the best day to use would probably be March 19th. We will address this issue at the February 13th meeting.
- Board members will find a special card at their station crafted by 1st and 4th grade students at Howe Hall AIMS in recognition of Board Appreciation Month. Special thanks to Teacher Forum for the reception held this evening to honor our Board and the gift bags of cards and notes from students throughout the District to thank Board members for their service.
Teacher Forum representatives attending tonight’s board meeting:
Tenise Williams - Cane Bay Middle School
Kirsten Gregory - H.E. Bonner Elementary School
Emily Ridgely - Goose Creek High School
Stacy Joline - Macedonia Middle School
Marilyn Edmonds - Boulder Bluff Elementary School
BOARD CHAIR REPORT
Board Chair Sally Wofford commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff, and the communities served by the system. Her remarks included:
- Berkeley Education Foundation needs a liaison- Sally will be willing to serve in that capacity until a replacement has been named.
- Board Chair, Superintendent, and Chief Financial Officer met with Molly Spearman met to discuss the state of the district with the embezzlement scheme. We are working to ensure that we provide full transparency to the community and to keep working toward student success.
- Board changed policy to implement a committee structure. The Board is committed to governing the strength of the district. This structure brings more efficiency and transparency. There are two meetings to receive feedback. Executive session will begin at 5:30pm to last for an exactly an hour. Start time of the Board meeting will be 6:30pm. We will receive citizen comments until 6:30pm. When Board returns from Executive Session, all items have been voted on. Board will adjust and they hope for nothing but success with the new structure. If this structure does not work, the board will change again. We will work at the highest level. We hope more people come to more board meetings.
Board meeting adjourned at 7:30pm.