Get highlights and information from the January 15, 2019 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR January 15, 2019
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, January 15, 2019. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the board meetings are available for viewing and download at bcsdschools.net/photos.
More information on board members and meetings can be found on the Board Docs website. After selecting a meeting date, you can view an agenda for the meeting, items for information, and items for action. Board Docs is updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
- Minutes: Regular Meeting - December 11, 2018
Academics and Innovation Committee
- Head Start Budget Expenditures Report for November 2018, Head Start Credit Card Report for November 2018, and the 2019-2020 Head Start Refunding Application
- BCSD Health Advisory Committee
- Summer Programs
Finance and Human Resources Committee
- Second Reading to Revise Policy IHFAA Honors Certificate Coverage and Revise Policy JGA Student Insurance Program
- Second Reading to Revise Policy IHC Rank In Class, Honor Graduates and Graduation Ceremonies
- Second Reading to Revise Policy IHE Promotion, Retention and Acceleration of Students
- 2018-2019 Salary Book Revisions
- 2017-2018 Financial Audit Presentation
- 2017-2018 Procurement Audit Presentation
- Out-of-State Travel Requests
- Goose Creek High School Athletic Request
Facilities and Capital Planning Committee
OTHER COMMITTEE ACTIONS
ITEM FOR INFORMATION
- Capital Projects Update
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County schools, students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the district. These remarks included:
- Happy New Year- Ingram wished everyone a Happy New Year and shared that he is excited about our progress after 512 days.
- Upcoming community meetings- BCSD is hosting a community meeting on Thursday evening at 6:00 p.m. at Devon Forest Elementary School to get feedback from parents regarding the potential shift of some attendance lines in the Carnes Crossroads area to partially accommodate growth. He emphasized to the public that no decisions have been made, and this is just one option presented for the Board’s consideration.
- Financial systems- Ingram noted that we are in a conversion process for our financial operating system. BCSD finance is currently operating under two systems, and that is why financial spreadsheets were not a part of CFO Ashley Smith’s presentation. As soon as the conversion is complete, we will resume the process of reviewing financial spreadsheets.
- District financial audit- Ingram thanked audit firm Elliot Davis for an honest, candid report. He stated that we value our professional relationship and will continuously work to improve our processes and operations.
- Continuing conversations with students- This week, Dr. Ingram will be having conversations with small groups of students at Mount Holly Elementary, Berkeley Intermediate, Berkeley High, Marrington Elementary, Marrington Middle, and Hanahan Elementary, Middle and High. He asks the students common questions around themes such as bus transportation, school safety, climate, financial literacy, and testing. He shared that this activity is the most fun for him, personally, and he gains valuable insight into what really matters.
- Winter sports- Our winter sports season is in full swing, and Dr. Ingram encouraged everyone to take in a basketball game or wrestling match. He has seen three of our teams play so far, and he looks forward to seeing more in the coming weeks. High schools typically play on Tuesdays and Fridays. Despite it being January 15th, he reminded everyone that we also have our eyes on spring sports. Many groups have started informal conditioning and practice for these sports.
- Board Member Appreciation Night- Ingram called board members’ attention to their invitation from our Teacher Forum for Board Members Appreciation Night, sponsored by our Teacher Forum. Refreshments will be served at 4:30 prior to our meeting beginning at 5:30.
- Martin Luther King Jr.- This coming Monday, schools and offices will be closed in observance of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. There are many events commemorating Dr. King.