Get highlights and information from the September 25, 2018 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR September 25, 2018
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, September 25, 2018. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the board meetings are available for viewing and download at bcsdschools.net/photos.
More information on board members and meetings can be found on the Board Docs website. After selecting a meeting date, you can view an agenda for the meeting, items for information, and items for action. Board Docs is updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
Academics and Innovation Committee
- Head Start Budget Expenditures Report for July 2018, Head Start Credit Card Report for July 2018, and Prospective New Hires
- Instructional Calendar Adjustment Due to Inclement Weather
- Superintendent's Performance Evaluation
- Second Reading of Policies for Adoption, Revision, and Deletion- Section G - Personnel
- First Reading to adopt Policy IKFC and Rule IKFC-R
- First Reading to adopt Exhibit GBP-E Application for Emergency Catastrophic Leave Program
- Revision of 2018-2019 Salary Book
- Out-of-State Travel
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the system. These remarks included:
- BC Safety & Training Resources- On Monday, Dr. Ingram met with Butch Clift, an associate at BC Safety and Training Resources. His group offers electricians training to high school students. At one time, BC had 40 or 50 participants. He shared that we are gearing up to restart that program.
- Design Team and Board Protocols- Also on Monday, Dr. Ingram and Katie Orvin Tanner had a phone conference with Dr. Overstreet regarding Design Team work and plans for a public screening of “Most Likely to Succeed.” They also worked to schedule board protocol work for October 23rd. He is proposing that the next meeting begin at 5:00 p.m. to allow time to complete protocol development, then move into our regular meeting. That evening may last longer to allow for complete protocol development.
- County Council Meeting- Monday evening, Dr. Ingram attended the County Council meeting. He shared that we have an interesting opportunity for collaboration with an incoming business. He will be meeting with representatives from the business on Wednesday at Cane Bay High.
- Meeting with Sheriff Lewis- On Thursday, Dr. Ingram is meeting with Sheriff Lewis to discuss continued collaboration between our entities.
- Present and future capital projects- On Thursday, Ashley Smith, Chief Financial Officer, James Thomas, Facility Services Director, and Dr. Ingram are meeting with Lisa Costner from Berkeley County to discuss present and future capital projects.
- Bright Ideas Grant recipients- This coming Thursday evening, Berkeley Electric Cooperative (BEC) will host a reception for the Bright Ideas Grant recipients sponsored by BEC. Ten of our teachers will be recognized as grant recipients.
- Regional Report Card- On Friday, BCSD leaders are having a follow-up meeting with Charleston, Berkeley, and Dorchester County leadership on the development of our regional report card.
- Teacher Forum representatives- Dr. Ingram recognized the following members of Teacher Forum that were present for the meeting: Amanda Duncan, Cane Bay High School; Julia Rowland from Westview Elementary; and Brent Dubay from Westview Elementary
BOARD CHAIR REPORT
Board Chair Sally Wofford commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff, and the communities served by the system. Her remarks included:
- Board art show- Chair Wofford reminded Board members that the student art show will be on October 9 at 5 p.m., and the awards ceremony will follow at 5:30p.m. The regular meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m in the board room. She asked that members plan to attend the art show at Berkeley Middle to meet the artists and participate in the art show and awards ceremony.
- SCSBA- Chair Wofford asked if any Board members would be able to attend the South Carolina School Board Association (SCSBA) Conference the first weekend in December. The Board will need to vote to select a representative and an alternate.