Report to the Community: Fine Arts
Published Tuesday, September 18, 2018
In August, Berkeley County School District Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram presented the annual Report to the Community. Among talking points in the presentation was the topic of Fine Arts at BCSD schools.
Below is what's found in the Fine Arts section of the report, which highlights the 2017-18 school year.
Arts Magnet Schools
BCSD has four arts magnet schools serving students in Berkeley County. Howe Hall AIMS serves kindergarten through 5th grade students selected through a lottery process and is a model site for arts infusion in South Carolina. In 2015 the school won the Elizabeth O’Neill Verner Award for Arts in Education.
H.E. Bonner Elementary was approved last year as a partial-magnet school and will begin offering its arts magnet program to kindergarten students accepted through a lottery for the 2018-19 school year.
Students screened and identified as artistically talented and gifted may also enter Marrington Middle School of the Arts for 6th - 8th grades.
Rising high school freshmen may audition for Berkeley Center for the Arts (BCA) at Goose Creek High.
Special Talent Enrichment Program (STEP)
Berkeley County’s Gifted and Talented Arts Program is available to students in grades 4-12 who have auditioned and are identified as gifted/talented in dance, music, theatre or visual arts. Once identified, students may attend weekly after school classes and a two-week summer program.
Some of the 2017-18 Highlights
- Superior ratings among Palmetto State choirs (CBH)
- 9 SCDBA Outstanding Performance Awards
- New Jersey Foundation Award winner (CBH)
- SEWE Poster Contest winner (SRI)
- Congressional Art Competition winner (CBH)
- Several students selected to attend the S.C. Governor’s School for Visual Arts and Music
- Choirs selected to perform at Washington National Cathedral (CBH)
- S.C. Thespians Festival Spirit Award winners (BCA, GCHS)
- Students selected for Southern Division American Choral Directors Association honor choir (CBH, GCHS)
- Ladies Honors Choir selected to perform at 2019 SC Music Educators Conference