Report to the Community: Safety and security
Published Friday, August 10, 2018
The safety and security of our students and staff is - and will continue to be - our highest priority.
At Thursday's annual Report to the Community hosted by the Berkeley County Chamber of Commerce, BCSD Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram discussed safety and security.
Safety/security is one of a handful of areas highlighted in the report for 2017-18. The following highlights from last year are taken directly from that report.
- BCSD Safety and Security Director Tim Knight, received the 2018 Campus Safety K-12 Director of the Year Award from Campus Safety Magazine. Knight was presented with his plaque at the Campus Safety Conference in Herndon, Va. on July 19, 2018.
- BCSD piloted a “Clear Bag or No Bag” entry procedure for varsity football games and expanded the procedure to all varsity sporting events. The proactive measure is part of an on-going safety initiative to continue to improve and advance district safety/security measures.
- BCSD purchased medical crisis response kits from North American Rescue for all the district’s school resource officers. The kits are specially designed for SROs, containing life-saving equipment to treat multiple victims until medical personnel arrive.
- The school store-front installation project was completed, and all schools received physical security updates.
Safety/Security community discussions were held at several schools.
- Life-saving information was shared with teachers and administrators at an active shooter and gunfire training conducted by local law enforcement.
- Administrators continued learnings in proactive self-defense, safety and injury prevention techniques with the help of H2H Training Solutions and Charleston Krav Maga.
2017-18 Report to the Community Quick Links
- A message from Dr. Ingram
- Complete downloadable/printable report
- Report to the Community presentation
- Event photos
- Statement on crisis communication
- Fiscal accountability