Get highlights and information from the March 13, 2018 Board of Education meeting
E-UPDATE FOR March 13, 2018
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Berkeley County Board of Education at its regular meeting held on Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Complete Board meetings are recorded and archived on the BCSD YouTube channel. Photographs from the Board meetings are available for viewing and download HERE.
Click HERE to view Board Docs. After selecting the meeting date, you can view the agenda for the meeting, the items for information, and items for action. Board Docs is updated in real-time during the regular meetings.
8 semi-finalists for BCSD Teacher of the Year
- Berkeley Intermediate School - Cassandra Cowdrey
- College Park Middle School - Lisa Muggeo
- Daniel Island School - Jason McDermott
- Devon Forest Elementary School - Emily Reichbach
- Goose Creek High School - Amanda Cooper
- Goose Creek Primary - Rebecca Friedman
- Hanahan Middle School - Brittany A. Biggane
- Westview Elementary School - Julia Rowland
- Head Start Budget Expenditures Report for January 2018, Head Start Credit Card Report for January 2018, and 2016-2017 Annual Report
- Childhood Development Education Program Curriculum Adoption, Second Reading
- Heritage Keepers Abstinence Education 1 and 2 Curricula, Second Reading
- Local Board Approved Course: Dental Assistant 1, Second Reading
- Local Board Approved Course: Intermediate Manufacturing, Second Reading
- 2017-2018 and proposed 2018-2019 Local Board Approved and Innovative Courses, First Reading
- 2018-2019 BCSD Adoptions of State Textbooks, First Reading
- December Graduates
- B4 Program
- 2018-2019 Cross High School Schedule
- Motion to reduce employee and board travel to include new guidelines as presented
- A Resolution Authorizing the Sale and Issuance of General Obligation Bonds to Make Acquisition Payments for SAFE Bonds and Special Obligation Bonds
- RFP 527-(17-18) Upgrade Network Switching and Expand Wireless at Seven (7) Locations
- RFP-528(17-18) Expand Wireless Capabilities at Six (6) Locations
- Recommendation to name the Stratford High School's Softball Field as the Coach Debra Tolar Field
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION
- Trident County Cradle to Career: Math Pathways
- State Accountability Model Presentation
- Presentation of the 2016-2017 Financial Audit Report
- Financial Update
- Governor's Proclamation of March 2018 as Purchasing Month
Superintendent Dr. Eddie Ingram commented on a variety of topics concerning Berkeley County Schools and its students, faculty, staff and the communities served by the system. These remarks included:
- BCSD Conference 2018 – Last Saturday, Dr. Ingram attended the Berkeley County Schools Recruitment Fair. All schools were present and we had over 350 prospective teachers come through to speak with school and district leaders.
- BIS/BMS B.O.L.T. LEGO Team and GCHS’s Vex Robotics Team- Ingram congratulated the Berkeley Intermediate/Middle School LEGO/Robotics Team for winning the Champions Award at a recent South Carolina competition and placing third in the robotics division at the same event. The team has qualified for the National Finals to be held in California. They are currently raising funds to send their student team to compete. Congratulations are also in order for Goose Creek High School’s VEX Robotics Team. This team of students took second place at a 50-team state championship in Columbia and qualified to compete at the VEX World Championship in Kentucky next month.
- Third Quarter School Evaluation Visits- Ingram has completed 27 third quarter school evaluation visits to date. During the third quarter visits, he has spoken with a group of six students per school. To date, he has talked with 166 students regarding their school experiences. This is helpful feedback for school principals and for Dr. Ingram as BCSD continues to move forward. He has five more visits scheduled for this week.
- Seclusion and Restraint Training- Wednesday afternoon, Dr. Ingram will attend the third training session on seclusion and restraint for assistant principals.
- Meeting with Dr. Hunter, Charleston Southern University- Dr. Ingram shared that he will be meeting with Dr. Hunter, the President of Charleston Southern University, on Thursday. The purpose of the meeting is to “get acquainted” with one another. Ingram indicated that he was sure they would discuss opportunities for collaboration between the district and the university. He shared that he and Dr. Hunter both have a mutual interest in principal training to get more of our teachers licensed to assume principal positions when vacancies occur.
- Leadership Berkeley at BCSD- Ingram concluded his remarks by informing the Board that the District will host this year’s Leadership Berkeley cohort, and he will be speaking with the cohort during their luncheon at Child Nutrition.