Character Education Board Policy
Policy IDAAA Character Education Issued 9/07
Purpose: To establish the board’s vision for and the basic structure of character education in the schools. The board is committed to the ideals of good character and citizenship through character education as part of the district’s mission of successful teaching and learning. These ideals include, but are not limited to, the following:
• personal integrity and honesty
• respect for the rights of all persons regardless of race, religion, sex, age, physical condition or mental state
• sense of justice and fair play
• understanding, sympathy, concern and compassion for others
• discipline and pride in one’s work
• respect for one’s property and the property of others, including public property
• understanding of the rights and obligations of a citizen in a democratic society
• respect for authority
The district’s program of character education will include a meaningful and challenging curriculum that respects all learners and helps them succeed. The district will maintain school communities in which positive behavior is practiced, demonstrated, modeled and reinforced within an environment of mutual respect and dignity. The district will implement this program in close cooperation with parents/legal guardians of students. The superintendent will develop guidelines to implement this policy as necessary. Adopted 9/11/07 Legal references: S.C. Code of Laws 1976, as amended: Section 59-17-135(B) - Character education policy; respectful behavior encouraged as amended by the South Carolina Education and Economic Development Act.
9 Character Traits
The content of these links is not controlled by Berkeley County School District. While school staff members review links when they are inserted on district or school pages, the contents of the linked page can change at any time. Furthermore, school staff members may not have reviewed links found within the linked page. If you find linked content that you consider inappropriate, please contact the Berkeley County School District Office of Technology or Office of Communications and Community Engagement. Explore the link(s) at your own risk.