Since we opened in 2015, Nexton Elementary has been a trailblazer in the implementation of technology to enhance 21st century learning.
- In 2015-16, Nexton Elementary was the first school in Berkeley County to institute 100% Personalized Digital Learning by providing a chrome book or iPad for each student in Kindergarten through fifth grade. As a result, we were named a Digital Citizenship School and SC PTA Rookie School of the year.
- Our students continue to take home devices to extend learning and allow parents to become more involved in their child’s education. Last and previous years’ school awards included Digital Citizenship School, Robotics Team Judges Award, and Kids Who Care Environmental award winners.
- In 2017-18 Nexton Elementary received the South Carolina Gold Scholars Award for High Performance.
- In 2019 – 2020 the NES Robotics Team performed at First Lego League Low Country Competition where they took the 2019 -2020 Judges Award, First Place in the Core Values Award, and 2nd place in the Robot Performance. These qualified our Nexton to compete in the Regional Robotics Competition.
- In 2019 -2020 Nexton Elementary increased percentage goals and professional development in Personalized and Project based Learning. Our Business Partners generosity enabled Nexton Elementary to purchase a virtual reality system that allows our students to not only become “Explorers” through visual experiences, but actually allows them to create and manipulate virtual activities in science, art, and an array of curriculums and real life experiences. A 3D printer was also purchased and used to assist local medical teams in providing needed parts for respirators during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our kindergarten classrooms now each have a new learning station that includes an iPad and Osmos technology to facilitate technology use, and reading skills.