Our students are so fortunate to be a part of the BIS family. We offer extra-curricular activities that develop 21st century skills. We believe that the arts are an integral part of the curriculum. Our National Board Certified Art Teacher, Carolyn Mullinax, has been with us for three years. Through her love of art and children, she has helped our students earn numerous awards and recognition.
- Coastal Carolina Fair Youth Art Exhibit. In October alone, ten students won first place ribbons for their art.
- Southeastern Wildlife Kids for Conservation Poster Contest. Five students won recognition and prizes.
- Home Telecom Phone Book Cover Art Contest. Our fifth-grade student won first place at the elementary level and $1,000.00 for the school’s art department. The school also won $300 for art supplies.
- South Carolina Read Across America Poster Contest. One of our fourth-grade students won third place at the state level and won $25, a t-shirt and a certificate.
- District Student Art Exhibit. Five students had their artwork on display.
- Berkeley County Court House Youth Art Exhibit. One of our fifth-grade students had his work on display at the courthouse for an entire year.
- Berkeley County School Board of Education Student Art Exhibit. Many students had their artwork matted and on display for an entire school year.
- Five students participated in the Google Doodle for Google Contest.
- Step Art
- Art workshops for parents and students.
Our physical Education teacher, Michael Brennan, helped our students to raise $875 for Jump Rope for Heart. He is the Chair of the MUSC Boeing Center for Children’s Wellness.
Our music teacher, Cassandra Cowdrey, has been with BIS for more than 5 years. She was our 2018 Teacher of the Year and was one of the top eight music teachers in the district. Her teaching and developing a love of music has helped our student earn recognitions and awards:
- BIS singers earned a Superior rating at the North Carolina Carowinds Music Festival in Spring 2018.
- Step Music
- All County Chorus
- Bright Ideas Grant winner.
- Students performed the National Anthem at the Sting Rays arena.
We offer the BETA Club at Berkeley Intermediate. We are proud to say that we have both 4th and 5th grade students who have maintained averages over 88 percent for the entire year in all subject areas. During the 2018-2019 school year, the BETA Club participated in the following:
- Raised $755 for Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- Made and distributed 75 appreciation bags for first responders.
- Help to develop literacy with our Head Start students by reading aloud to them on several occasions.
Our Library Media Specialist and Guidance Department are involved in many school activities:
- Host Family Nights.
- Pennies for Patients
- Student Council
- BOLT LEGO Team. The team was featured in an article published in March, 2019 by the Lowcountry Parenting Magazin