All about Nexton
Nexton Elementary School was built in 2015 with a current school population of 911 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade. The student population consists of 59% white, 23% African American, 8% Hispanic, and 10% other ethnic groups. 54.1% of students are currently on free or reduced lunch. Nexton Elementary is located at the epicenter of Charleston’s fast growing I-26 corridor at the crossroads of I-26 and 17A in Summerville, SC.
The Nexton community currently has more than 300 homes and is estimated to have more than 10,000 homes and 6 million square feet of commercial space in the upcoming years. The school was built for a 900 student capacity to accommodate the growth in the area. The school is home to a gigafi community where technology is easily accessible and supported. Nexton has over twenty active business partners that have supported the one- to -one technology initiative for personalized learning in the classroom through the use of iPads and chrome books. These devices provide a learning tool for students to become college and career ready and allows them to take ownership of their achievement.
The Nexton Community is a place where everything is close to businesses, homes, apartments, shops, and restaurants. They are all connected to each other by parks, trails and nature in historic Summerville.
Dr. Tina Hoots, Principal
Arthur Jashienski, Assistant Principal
Jessica White, Reading Coach
- Certified Digital Citizenship School
- Wellness School Winner 2021
- One-to-one technology school
- SCPTA Rookie School of the year in 2015-2016
- Kids Who Care First Place Recipients for grade 4
- Robotics Team "2nd Place Core Values" State Competition 2021
- Quality instruction from “highly qualified” teachers
- Maker Space exploratory lab
- Student led outdoor garden and indoor tower garden
- Student led student council
- Character education program
- Reading Counts incentive program
- Over twenty FIVE business partners
- Active school improvement
Community Support and Involvement
The parents and community members of Nexton are invested in the education of all students. There are currently over 150 registered volunteers and over 20 active business partners. Parents and community members volunteer for reading buddies, career exploration, mentoring, PTA, character education and School Improvement Council.