Department of the Army
ARMY JROTC Battalion
HANAHAN high school
6015 murray drive
hanahan, south carolina 29410
5 JUNE 2019
Dear Parents, Guardians, and Students of Hanahan High School Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) Battalion;
I welcome you to the Hanahan High School Hawk Battalion and look forward to a great year full of exciting and rewarding learning opportunities.
I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to you. I am Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Charles E. Cross, United States Army. I am the son of a US Marine Lieutenant Colonel, who retired and moved to North Charleston, SC in 1964. I graduated from North Charleston High in 1969 and attended The Citadel. Upon graduation from The Citadel in 1973, I entered the US Army as an Infantry Officer. I served 22 years in the Army and retired in 1995 out of the Chemical Corps. I took a position as the Senior Army Instructor at Ridge View High, Columbia, SC in 1995, and was there until my arrival at Hanahan High School in April 2008.
Our goals for the cadets in the Hawk Battalion are:
· To appreciate the ethical values and principles that underlie good citizenship.
· To develop leadership potential, while living and working cooperatively with others.
· To be able to think logically and to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
· To appreciate the importance of physical fitness in maintaining good health.
· To understand the importance of high school graduation for a successful future, and learn about college and other advanced educational and employment opportunities.
· To develop mental management abilities.
· To become familiar with military history as it relates to America's culture, and understand the history, purpose, and structure of military services.
· To develop the skills necessary to work effectively as a member of a team.
I look forward to talking to you throughout the year, and forming a working relationship with both you and your respective cadet(s). My door is always open to any student, cadet, parent, or guardian. Feel free to contact me at the school number, extension 3030, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHARLES E. CROSS
Senior Army Instructor