Documents for Registering Students: Birth Certificate/ Proof of Age
Birth certificate, passport (page containing name and date of birth), hospital or physician’s certificate showing date of birth, adoption records, driver's license, learner's permit are acceptable forms of proof of age. For children born abroad of a parent or parents who are U.S. citizens, any official government document issued by a U.S. federal agency or service is acceptable. If you are unable to produce any of the documents listed above, please contact the enrollment school.
Need a copy of a birth certificate?
- In SC, see DHEC's "How to Obtain a Copy of your Birth Certificate." (Mail-in form at bottom of page.)
- Nationally, see the CDC's "Where to Write for Vital Records".
Please note that your child must be:
- 4 years old on or before September 1 to be in the Child Early Reading Development and Education Program (4 year old Pre School)
- 5 years old on or before September 1 to be in Kindergarten
- 6 years old on or before September 1 to be in 1st grade
Child's SC Certificate
of ImmunizationNeed a copy of this certificate?
Two proofs of current residency in the name of the parent or legal guardian(All items are to contain the current and correct address at the time of enrollment.)
- In SC, see DHEC's "How can I get a copy of my immunization records?"
- Nationally, see the CDC's "Contacts for ISS Records".
- parent/legal guardian's current monthly utility bill (electric, gas, water) showing his/her correct name and address
- parent/legal guardian's current monthly land line phone statement showing his/her correct name and address
- parent/legal guardian's rental lease or real estate purchase contract showing his/her correct name and address
- parent/legal guardian's cable or satellite bill showing his/her correct name and address
- parent/legal guardian's rent receipt showing the address of the dwelling as well as the landlord/landlady's name, address and telephone number; statements from apartment complexes or other multiple dwellings need to be on letterhead stationary showing the appropriate information mentioned above
- address at which the individual receives local, state and/or federal financial assistance
- individual with whom the tax assessor's office lists as the owner of the property
- existence of a deed identifying the owner of the property
Proof of Guardianship
- This is required if the student lives with someone other than a parent
Additional documents for transfer students
- Withdrawal from previous school - Paperwork filed with your child's previous school to transfer the child's school records to the new school.
- Academic documents & records - Any academic documents and records, including the child's latest transcript, report cards, English Learner identification, screener, and proficiency scores (ESOL/ESL) and IEP (Individual Education Plan)/(special education paperwork if applicable).
- If your child was in a Gifted & Talented program, proof of previous gifted identification must be submitted. For additional information, visit the Advanced Academics webpage.
(Child Early Reading Development and Education Program)
The additional items below are ONLY required if registering for this program
Proof of income eligibility
- Family income eligibility must be provided for enrollment: an annual family income of 185 percent or less of the federal poverty guidelines as promulgated annually by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; or Medicaid eligibility. Acceptable forms of verification include the following: a completed free and reduced lunch form with verification of family income, or a copy of current Medicaid card. Verification of family income may include pay stubs, tax returns, or W-2 forms.
Child’s Medicaid card
(If number is provided)
- If you have misplaced your Medicaid Card, please contact your county Medicaid office to inquire about a replacement card.