BCSD’s Office of Capital Projects supervises and directs the major capital construction and renovation projects for the school district’s facilities. As Berkeley County grows, our schools grow with it and serve the needs of our children.
Currently BCSD is working with multiple independent organizations to cultivate an overall comprehensive assessment of existing facilities, assets and needs.
Some of the 2017-18 Highlights
- Philip Simmons High School opened in August 2017.
- Work on Bowen’s Corner Elementary in Hanahan continued with the school scheduled to open in August 2018.
- Work on Foxbank Elementary in Moncks Corner continued with the school scheduled to open in August 2018.
- Berkeley Education Center renovations began with a completion goal of 2018.
- Roof modification projects were completed at Hanahan Middle, Berkeley High, St. Stephen Elementary, St. Stephen Middle and Goose Creek High.
The Office of Capital Projects is committed to:
- Mt. Holly Elementary HVAC modifications and window replacements - design completion currently slated for December 2018. Construction bids are tentatively scheduled for January 2019.
- Roof modification projects at Hanahan Middle, Berkeley High and Fishburne Educational Center.
- Facilities staff will begin executing the master facilities plan approved by the Berkeley County Board of Education in July 2018.
- Providing overall capital project management including budget, quality, schedule and scope.
- Coordinating individual building projects during the design, bid and construction phases in order to meet the requirements of BCSD.
- Collaborating with school and district staff to ensure designs create an amazing learning environment while keeping within budget,
- Inspecting and reviewing new construction work to ensure the work is completed efficiently, in compliance with plans and specifications, and well coordinated with the Facilities Department.
- Helping to ensure a smooth turnover of new facilities so that the new school staff, Facilities Department, and Technology Department can seamlessly operate and maintain.
- Ensuring student and staff safety at all times when construction occurs when school is in session.
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Board of Education during the regular meeting on October 23.
This edition of In the Loop, published and distributed by the Department of Communications and Community Engagement, provides a highlighted summary of actions taken by the Board of Education during the regular meeting on October 9.
Bigger spaces make a big difference. Berkeley County School District teachers and administrators are being challenged to incorporate dynamic spaces in their lessons, but it isn't anything new.