Marrington Middle School of the Arts: School and Library Mission
Building upon our rich Lowcountry traditions, we will ignite, in every student, a passion for life-long learning. Through dynamic instruction, creative partnerships and exceptional support, we will foster opportunities for each student to build a legacy of success.
A. The school library media center is a resource that supplements and complements the educational program of the school through the interaction of professional personnel and other members of the learning community.
B. The library media center should provide a wide range of materials on all levels of difficulty, with diversity of appeal and different points of view.
C. The library media center should provide an atmosphere in which students can become skillful, discriminating users of all available media.
D. The library media center should foster library patronage as a lifelong practice.
E. The library media center can
- assist each student toward the attainment of his or her maximum potential,
- assist each student in preparing to assume a responsible role in our society, and
- help students develop the skills necessary to face the challenges of a changing world.
F. The school library media center is an ever-changing resource area that extends and supports the core curriculum of the school through the interaction of professional personnel (including the library media specialist, teachers, and administrators), students, and interested members of the community.
G. The library media staff should
- provide intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats;
- provide instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas; and
- should work with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students.
H. The overall purpose of the library media program is to ensure that all library patrons are effective users of information and ideas.